Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Day at the Fair

We encounter millions, no, billions of different smells throughout the course of our lives. Smells that help create memories. A certain smell can take you back in time. There is a smell that I look forward to every year, and that is the smell of the fair. I've gone to the fair every year since I was old enough to. My family has been involved with 4-H and FFA since my older sister was old enough to show... so since I was about seven.

To me, the fair isn't about rides, and food (though the food is always a plus). The fair is about family. I go there to just spend time with my family and enjoy the atmosphere. And it's not just my immediate family that is involved, it's my aunts and uncles and cousins and my cousin's children. Everyone. Every year, that first day walking into the fair, the first thing that always gets me, is the smell. The smell brings it all back. I know a lot of people think the fair smells bad, but it will always be one of my favorite smells. Growing up on a farm, my tolerance for "stink" is a different from a lot of people's. But what's funny is, it's not a conscious thing. I don't walk to to fairgrounds with my nose out waiting to sniff the air, haha. It's more like I walk onto the fairgrounds and it just hits me, and I always have to smile.

My sister and I are too old to show now unfortunately, but my little brother, Matthew, is still at it. This year he showed two sheep, a goat, and two pigs. A pretty big load. I really enjoy going out to watch him show, helps me feel connected... and I'm pretty sure he appreciates it just a little bit :P I like to think my brother and I have actually gotten closer since we've gotten older. We don't argue as much, and obviously don't beat each other up playing Power Rangers anymore. 

My typical day at the fair: watch someone show their animals, walk around and look at exhibits, hang out with family, eat a deep pit sandwich (so bomb), and hang out with the random friends that come by. The fair isn't just a one day thing for me, it's more of a second home. 

And here are some of the silly things we do (:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...