Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Monday, November 14, 2011

End of an Experiment

"I usually don't, but you're a student.... At least you say you are."

This guy made my day. This started out as just a bet with Chris about $45 dollars, but the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking about what this means. This was a social experiment. I stood out on the off ramp of Northbound 99 at Rosedale Highway from 11:20 am to 12:40 pm (approximately) and I made $103.76... and a bag of trail mix! Granted, I found two pennies on the ground, but I think they still count :P That's more than I used to make in a month at my last job.

The reason that guy, the last guy who gave me money, made my day was because that's exactly what I was looking for. People will give their money away to "homeless" people without even blinking, and I was claiming to be a college student. I was really wondering if anyone was even going to question it, and apparently some did, but this guy gave me a couple of dollars anyway.

My sign said "Full-Time College Student Anything Helps!" I wrote out a few other ideas, but this one set with me the best, and apparently it worked pretty well.

The grand total is one 20 dollar bill (I was so shocked by this), seven 5's, forty-five 1's and a hand-full of change. I only got positive feedback from people. I got a "good luck with your studies". One man (who I believe is responsible for the $20) asked me which school I went to and told me this was a great idea. Another woman asked how old I was, and when I responded "21" she said "oh, you look like you're 12!... that's a compliment by the way!" Another woman told me "God Bless," and another man commented "What a way to make a living!"

In the beginning I wasn't sure I was going to make very much, my goal was to get at least $45 so I could beat Chris, but after I got the $20, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to make it. I didn't know exactly how much I had, because I hadn't been counting, but today was a really great experience. I was nervous that I was going to get quite a bit of negative feedback (I don't know why I thought this, but I did). It turned out well in the end.


This is what I looked like, only I had on my back-pack too (gotta put the money somewhere!)


So now I am waiting for Chris to get off work so I can show him the money... and he can pay up! If he keeps his end of the deal, I will be 206 dollars richer at the end of today (: On a side note, I am so glad I put some sun-block on my face...


2 comments:

  1. wow!! Congrats on winning the bet.....but to stand out there....that was amazing Ashley...i mean to have gotten the comments that you recieved was good, but to have recieved the amt. of $$ that u did that was a bonus... WAY TO GO ASHLEY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adriana! It was quite a feat for me actually, just because of how shy a person I am haha. I almost chickened out. Then I just pulled out the sign and stood there with a smile on my face and let things happen!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...