Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Disney Princesses

Okay, so I thought I'd share this to get other people's opinions on it. I'm sure you all remember how controversial the new Black Disney princess was in The Princess and the Frog. How people were saying their children would be able to relate better to her because of her race, and then there was the whole issue about how the prince wasn't Black and why couldn't they just have a Black couple? Why can't you people just be happy and enjoy the movie? I know when I was little I wasn't thinking "Ariel is White, I guess I can relate to her better". It kind of made me angry when the news would interview little girls and they would spew out lines obviously given by their parents "I can relate to her better because she's Black". Am I saying making a Disney Princess Black was a bad thing? No, of course not. I think it was a great idea, it's just the fact that everyone made such a huge deal about it. Yes, it was a good thing to do, but you shouldn't make your kids believe that the only way to relate to someone is if they are the same race as you. That's just sending out entirely the wrong message.

Well anyway, now I've heard rumblings of wanting a "plus-size" princess. What are your thoughts on this? I personally do not think this would be a good idea. Sure it might make some little girls out there feel better about their weight, but there are too many things that can go wrong. If they make another White princess people will be mad because we have too many of those, but if it's any other race, people of that race might get mad because they are portraying their race as fat. Also, if you make the prince fat too, people will get mad because then you are saying only fat people can marry fat people. There is just no way to make everyone happy, and of course the children who are just trying to enjoy the story will get pulled into the mess as well.

This is not an official Disney princess, just something someone drew. I think she's quite pretty, and I see nothing wrong with her, but so many other people will. They will tear her apart, and who wants to see that to happen to a Disney Princess?

Original can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...