Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Friday, June 7, 2013

Having Babies

Yes, having children is something that I desperately want in the future (a long time from now). I'll admit it, when I see someone who is close to my age and pregnant, I get a little jealous.I want that. I can't wait.. but I can wait.

If working at the Picture People taught me anything, it's that I want to wait until I'm ready to have babies before I start having them. Every once in a while we'd have a young couple come in for maternity pictures or newborn pictures and I would have that twinge of jealousy. Then I would see that they're not in a very good place financially and my "baby fever" would magically disappear. It's the couples that have a baby doll stroller instead of an actual one that really catch my eye and make me think, "I want better for my children". I can't wait to have children, but I can wait until I have enough money to be able to get the best for my children.


What brings about this blog post is of course baby fever or a little bit of jealously at least. Three of my younger cousins are pregnant right now and, mind you, I'm only 23. Three sisters- the third one just recently came out. It makes me jealous to know that they're pregnant, that they are experiencing something I want. But then I think about everything else- they're all under 23 years old, they're not married, who knows if they're financially stable or not, and, to my knowledge, none of them were expecting to get pregnant. None of these are circumstances under which I'd want to have a baby.

Am I still jealous? A little bit. Though it also makes me wonder how this happens. Not just to my cousins, but teenagers in general. Why are teen pregnancy rates so high? I've been with my boyfriend for three years now and, knock on wood, I haven't once had a "pregnancy scare". Are people just going at it with a "it could never happen to me" attitude, or is it an education thing? Surely sex ed classes are still offered in high school? Heck, I think they're even offered in middle school! The main thing it comes down to is protection! Protection! Protection! Be smart about it. If you're going to take part in adult activities, then you need to be mature enough to make adult decisions about precaution. "Accidents" do happen, but they're less likely to happen if you use your brain first.

Well, this started out with a little bit of baby fever, and ended with a little bit of rant. What it really comes down to I think is maturity. I would say that, mentally, I'm ready to have a baby; however, I'm mature enough to know that I am in no way ready to have a baby right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...