Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"That's Gay"

I was driving home the other day and I saw something on the back of the car in front of me that upset me for some reason. In the dust on the back of that car, someone had written "I'm gay". It was clearly meant as an insult to that person. When someone says something is gay it is meant in a negative way. Just like saying something is "oakie" is meant in a negative way (which I always took as an insult because my family is from Oklahoma).

I don't know why it upset me; you hear people saying "that's gay" all the time. I never really took to the phrase myself, but it's quite common to hear. Seeing it on the back of that car really got me thinking about the gay community and how far they've come, and how far they still have to go.

I won't lie, I used to be what is referred to as a "homophobe". When I was younger I was completely against the gay lifestyle and anyone who chose to live that way. I referred to them as "walking sins". It was just the way I was raised and the community I grew up in. Being gay was not a good thing in my eyes. It was during my freshman year of college that I really opened up my eyes to the truth. They are just people like you and me. I started seeing all the hate that was pushed in their direction. I am not a hateful person and I made a mental decision to not be a part of that hate anymore. One of the main things that helped me see proper was a poem my professor had us read: "How to Watch Your Brother Die" by Micheal Lassell. Please read it; it is a wonderful poem.

I am a Christian, and a lot of people say that the bible says it is a sin to be gay, but that is for God to decide. The way I see it, God is about love, and I don't think He'd appreciate me going around and hating people just because of who they decide to love.

It is one of the things that I am proud of myself for. I'm not proud that I used to be filled with so much hate, but I am proud that I was able to see the error in my ways and make a change. I know quite a few gay/lesbian people now, and I am proud to call them friends. Not to sound too much like a hippie, but I hope one day the rest of the world can see the error in themselves and a new era of love and happiness can arise.

Edit:
Added a poll (at the top left) for responses to this post. I want to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...