Navigation

Quote of the Month:

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
{Past Quotes}

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sexy VS Skanky

Over the summer, Chris and I were walking down State Street in Santa Barbara when we saw this girl and guy walking towards us. He was wearing saggy jeans and a long white t-shirt. She wearing a "cowgirl" outfit. Her skirt was up to here, and down to there, and her shirt was up to here and down to there as well.  Oh, and don't forget her hokey cowgirl hat and pigtails. --Okay, so just now I decided to try a google a picture of a "skanky cowgirl" for reference... I suggest you don't do that... unless your safe search is on!-- I made a comment to Chris that the two of them were an odd combination to see walking down the street together. This brought up a conversation with him about sexy vs skanky girls.

I pointed out that she was quite skanky. He asked me why she had to be "skanky" and not "sexy"? His point of view on sexy/skanky is that it's all about the girl's attitude. In my opinion, a girl can be as confident as she wants to be, but if she's wearing something skanky, she's skanky. Period. The reason I bring this up is because of the fact that last night was Halloween (aka dress as a slut night).

Halloween. The one day out of the year where girls feel the need to dress up in as little as possible. To take a quote from the movie Mean Girls "Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." That, my friends, is only half way true. They'll still say things, just not to your face.

I was sitting in the hallway before class with my friend Eric. There were a few costume clad women that walked by us and we were rating them on the slutty/skanky scale. I told him the story about the cowgirl in SB and he said there was nothing skanky about her... then I told him it was during the day, which changed his opinion. He was imagining her walking down the street at night, but the day changed his opinion completely.

I also talked with my friend Ashley (yes, there are two of us) and Chris was there as well. I presented my argument about the skanky cowgirl and the overly slutty lingerie clad women that we at the bar that night. She agreed with me that there are some costumes/outfits that no girl can wear without being slutty, but both her and Eric agreed that it has something to do with the girl's attitude as well. There is obviously a fine line between sexy and skanky. Where do you think it lies?

There is also this really cool "show" that Cosmopolitan is doing right now called Sexy vs Skanky. They look at different outfit styles and things and explain why a certain look is sexy or skanky. I agree with a lot of what they say!

This year, I think I did well with my costume. Sexy not skanky. Right?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...